I am going to teach you a simple way to create a button for your blog.
1. First you need a photo.
- Use your own photo.
2. After you have chosen your picture you need to open Picnik. The basic service is free.
3. Click on the button that says “Get started now!”.
4. A screen will open that looks like this.
5. You need to click on the button that says “Upload a photo”.
6. A box will open where you can select the photo (or jpg image) from your computer.
7. Choose your photo and then click on the OPEN button.
8. The photo that you have chosen will open in Picnik.
9. Click on the “Crop” button across the top.
10. Then a grid will appear on your photo.
11. Then you will set your “actual size” to 150×150 and check the “scale photo” box.
12. Then move your grid around until you have the picture that you want.
13. When you are happy, click “OK”.
14. Your graphic will be very tiny (like the following screenshot).
15. In the bottom right hand corner there is the option to zoom.
16. You will need to zoom in on your graphic in order to be able to finish working on it.
17. Now you can adjust the exposure if needed. Simply click on the exposure button.
18. I generally adjust the exposure down slightly and the contrast up slightly, but whatever works for you.
19. Click OK when you are finished adjusting the exposure.
20. Now click on the “Create” button.
21. Now click on the “Effects” button.
22. For today we are going to add Rounded Edges. When you choose that option from the list, the box will expand around it. The example you see below is the expanded box. We shouldn’t need to make any adjustments to the settings today, simply click “Apply”.
23. You select the “Text” button.
24. Then a text box will appear on the left hand side of the screen.
25. Then you select your font. Choose whatever font you like, but remember that it has to be visible with the graphic at 100%. We used Impact.
26. Then you type your text in the box.
27. And then you click on the “Add” button.
28. This box pops up when you are working with the text.
29. When you want to change the text color, you move this little white button around.
30. When you want to change the size of the text you will slide this button from left to right.
31. To position your text you hover over the text box and then click and drag.
32. Now you will click on the “Save & Share” button.
33. Then this screen will pop up.
34. Where is says “File Name” change this to the name you want.
35. Then click save photo.
36. Then this box will pop up.
37. I always save to the desktop and then move it to a different file later because Windows puts things in weird places if I don’t.
38. Click the “Save” button.
39. Now Picnik will pop up and ask you if you are finished with this photo.
40. Choose “Close Photo” and we are all finished.
41. And there you have your finished button.
(Please note: This is NOT how I create buttons for my design clients, they are done in a special graphics program. I am including the tutorial here for all those times when you need a button faster than a designer can get one to you.)